'70 Midget Distributor Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: '70 Midget Distributor Question
From: Matt Liggett <mliggett@seven.ucs.indiana.edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 1995 10:19:24 -0400
Whilst tuning up my Midget this past weekend, I adjusted the timing using
my stroboscopic timing light.  Timing (as I recall) is 10-deg BTDC @
1000RPM.  The engine was wavering a bit, but at close to 1000RPM, I could
not even get it to 0-deg BTDC.  I turned the dist as far clockwise as it
would go and the best i could do looked like 5 or 10-deg ATDC.  It was
MUCH worse before I got started.  It does run a lot better now, although
it still diesels sometimes on shutoff.  I've been running it w/ 93 octane
Shell just to avoid any unwanted pre-ignition.  Ohh.. and yes, I did have
the vacuum advance removed.

What does this all mean?  Is my dist bad?  The mechanical advance?  Thanks
in advance.

--
|                Matt Liggett <mliggett@indiana.edu>                 |
|              http://seven.ucs.indiana.edu/~mliggett/               |