Backfire / hesititation

Subject: Backfire / hesititation
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 1995 07:37:45 -0400 (EDT)
Thanks to Chris and Sean and the others who wrote concerning my question
about backfire / hesitation.

I made two mistakes (well, two that I know of)...

1) I did the timing with the vacuum advance active.  Dumb!  And I know
better.  When I did it right I got another 5 degrees or so advance (now
set at idle advance of 10 degrees).

2) The rear carb wasn't "a little lean", it was quite lean.  I richened
it one turn (HIF carbs) and things improved immensely.

Now I have some power and can drive 50 miles at highway speeds and THEN
it coughs and backfires (going up hill at 60 mph).  I'm guessing the rear
carb is still a little lean but haven't checked yet.

Anyway, the extreme difference between the front and rear carbs is what
caused anamolous choke behavior... richening it brought the rear carb
into range and way over-riched the front one.

I'm hoping to get this all straightened out in a week or so when my
recurved distributor and fuel pump bracket / collar come in.  For now, it
is autocrossing just fine, thanks.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"Goldwyn's Law of Contracts.
   A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on."