Update on TC brake question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Update on TC brake question
From: XGPH72A@prodigy.com (MR SYD SAPERSTEIN)
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 01:43:10 EDT
-- [ From: Syd Saperstein * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

While working on replacing my wheel bearings, I was able to see 2
little metal pieces with which mated studs on the back of the brake
shoes looked like they were supposed to line up and make contact.  Upon
further fiddling, these two pieces, shaped like off-center pac-men and
held in place through spacers with rivets to the backing plate, were
movable and did indeed make contact.  They rotate to put increasing
amounts of metal toward the studs on the brake shoes, thus pushing the
shoes outward.  With some difficulty these pieces responded to tapping
a screwtriver whose blade was placed at an oblique angle to the outer
surface.  Has anyone ever heard of this type of adjuster?  Is there a
special tool for adjusting them? Clearly there is no way to reach
through the drum to access these little gems,  even if my front brake
drums had holes for same (which they do not).  The TC is a late one
bearing #9836 manufactured in approx Sept. '49. Hope my description is
understandable.