Re: OD transmission

To: AIRHEDRZ@aol.com
Subject: Re: OD transmission
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 12:30:29 +0600
>Can someone advise me of
>the procedures/problems  etc. for rebulding and installing an OD transmission
> into a non OD 1972 mgb.

If Chris Lenth is still reading this list, he'd probably tell you his
biggest problem was with the speedometer.  Geared differently for OD and
non-OD cars.  His non-OD speedo read significantly lower than actual speed
once the OD tranny was bolted in.  See if the boneyard can scavenge up the
speedo from the same car the OD is coming from.

>Should I replace the clutch since I'm going this
>far?  Present clutch has 66K on it.

Definitely.  One of those things that, IMHO, should be done every time the
opportunity presents itself.  Also replace the throwout bearing while you're
in there.  Leaving the old one in is false economy.

>Also, before I pull what little hair I have left out of my head,  where is
>the directional flasher unit located in my 72 B?

Don't know for sure about a 72, but it's attached to the firewall under the
right-hand side dash on my 77.

I was about to tell you to just turn the turn signal on and follow the
clicking, but that assumes the flasher still works, in which case you
probably wouldn't be looking for it.  It's probably right next the the
flasher for the hazard lights, in which case you could follow that clicking.

As long as I'm thinking about it and feeling verbose . . .

You didn't mention why you're looking for the flasher, so I'm going to
assume it's because the turn signals aren't working.  The first thing to
check would be the hazard switch, since the juice to the turn signal lever
is piped through the hazard switch.  Try turning the hazard lights on, then
snapping the switch off with a modicum of vigor.  That most often cures
non-functioning signals.
--
Jay Tilton / jtilton@vt.edu  (vt = Virginia Tech  vt <> Vermont)
Home page: http://fbox.vt.edu:10021/J/jtilton/index.html