Re: MG-TD owner

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG-TD owner
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 00:00:12 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 18 Oct 1995, Guy Kelley wrote:

> I am new to this list as of a week ago.  I have noticed that all the talk
> seems to be regarding MGB's.  I am curious, is there ever any TD or other
> T-series talk here?  Or is there a better mailing list for TD owners?

We're outnumbered by the MGB folks, but there are a few of us T-Types here.

> I have a '53 TD in fair, drivable condition.  I've had it for 32 years now
> (since I was 15 years old!).  Haven't had to do any major work on it in
> many years, but it's burning oil pretty bad now.  So I should do at least
> a ring job in the near future.  Have no idea how hard it is to get parts
> any more.  Any tips?

Since you need to disassemble most of the engine to do a proper ring
job, you might as well give the whole thing a thorough going over.  If it
needs rings, you can bet it needs other work as well.

Parts are readily available from Moss Motors and Abingdon Spares, but
prices are rather high these days.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.