Comparing Miatas and overpriced B's

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Comparing Miatas and overpriced B's
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 1995 02:57:44 -0600
I didn't write this, I'm just forwarding some stuff majordomo threw off the
disk.

mjb.
----

   From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)

Maybe we should be comparing the Miata to the Lotus Elan which also handles
better than a B.  And also, judging from looks, is what the Miata design is
based on.  Which brings up my objection to the Miata: it's a copy.

Thanks to Bill Lattimer, we now have an example of a B going for $10,000.
About a month ago, I predicted that the value of chrome bumpered B's was
going to go through the roof.  I don't think that 5 digit B's are an
aberration, I think they're the start of a trend.  Remember the Mustang
phenomenon?  In the course of a month, the value of old Mustangs went
from ~$1000 to $5000 and up.  It had nothing to do with the cars.  It was
purely investment speculation.  Every one believed that every one else
was going to believe that the cars were worth a lot, so they paid a lot in
the hope of selling for more, thereby making the cars worth more.  The
signs all point to this happening to the MGB.  I'll regret it if it does
because to me, the MGB is just a fun, cute convertible that happens to be
inexpensive, both to purchase and maintain.  If my cars are worth a lot of
money, I'll be afraid to drive them.  Luckily, my MG 1100's will never be
worth anything (except in Japan).

The reason I'm making public predictions is that if any one is going to
benefit from B price inflation, it should be us, the people who _like_ these
cars.

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com
2 '67 B's, one driven daily since '79, the other under restoration,
2 '63 MG 1100's and 1 '65 MG 1100, all running,
and nothing else.