45 DCOE problems

To: "'MG List Server'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 45 DCOE problems
From: Ian Harris <mgstuff@sywell.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 1995 15:49:44 +-100
Hi all,

I have just dropped a brand new 1950cc into my B.  It has
a 715 cam, matched distributer and 45 DCOE.  Various parts
have been balanced, lightened and flowed.  The problem is
number 1 and 4 cylinders dont do anything!  The engine sounds
rough as anything and actually seems to smooth off when you
disconnect the ht leads from cylinders 1 and 4.  I initially
thought that somthing was ary with the ign timing but after a
few days of trying still no difference.  I have just removed
the 45DCOE and replaced it with my old HS4s and it runs just
perfectly, (serious restraint needed while running in :-),
admitedly it takes a long time to slow and it is quite cammy
under 2500 but i attribute most of this to the fact that i'm
still running the distributer with no vacuum advance (which
has been tried at anything between 8 and 15deg BTDC)

All i can sumise from this is that its something to do with the
weber. :-(  Has anyone any ideas?  The weber was jetted as per
the moss book:

        chokes          38
        emulsion tube   F16
        main jets               175
        air correction  160
        pump jets               50
        aux venturi     3.5

Looking at the plugs, the end two (1 & 4) are quite wet, the
inner two cylinders running but quite sooty.  Points to being
rich?  Why are the outer two doing nothing?  While on the SUs
the plugs look fine with a nice grey/brown colour.

Help!!