Re: Gasket sealents

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gasket sealents
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 23 Oct 1995 08:41:38 -0500
In <951021025138_50233085@emout05.mail.aol.com>, RobBerning@aol.com wrote:
>I have to put my exhaust an intake manifold back, and want to do it right so
>I do not have to do it again.  I have new Gaskets and thought I should use a
>gasket sealent???  Do I need to use a sealent for these caskets.  Does anyone
>have a recomendation on which gasket selent to use!

Sealants are unnnecessary and even ill-advised on the intake/exhaust
manifolds.  However, it is mandatory that the manifold surfaces and
seating surface on the head be very clean and flat.  If they are not,
sealants won't do you any good.  The big problem is temperature--even
the red permatex won't stand up to exhaust temperatures, especially
given the pressure.
                        A. B. Bonds