SU Damper Fluid

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU Damper Fluid
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 10:09:14 -0400 (EDT)
Sorry if this question has been answered in the last week, I am waay
behind on MG mail (out-of-town trip).

What's the approximate viscosity of the carb damper fluid which comes in
those niftly little bottles?  What's a good substitute?

I'm currently running 20W50 in the HIF4s... Marvel Mystery Oil is too
light for sure, although it works OK in the HS2s in the Spitfire.

I freaked out someone at a race last week when I mentioned I had 20W50 in
there.. "way too slow" he opined.  I would treasure faster throttle response.

Oh, and does the damping fluid affect the rev drop time?  My dropoff when
shifting up is too slow and that makes going into third a chore.  I am
running solid butterflies and the idle is set to about 1300 to keep oil
pressure up.  The third gear synchro is gone and so I really need to
match revs.

If this message doesn't make sense give it 4 hours sleep and a cup of coffee.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle
"Klipstein's Observation:
   Any product cut to length will be too short."