Re: FWD: Lowering Rubber Bumper MGBs

To: MGS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Re: FWD: Lowering Rubber Bumper MGBs
From: brooked@bre.co.uk
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 10:29:30 EDT
Changing the spring lengths will not change the arc through which the
suspension arms can move, but it will change the normal positions of the arms.
If you fit shorter springs on a RB car to lower the ride height you will have
to use uprated springs to stop the bumpstops taking a pounding. This is not to
improve your ride comfort but to keep control of the car, the sudden change in
springing rate when you hit the bumpstop does very little to for the drivers
ability to go round corners.

The guy saying you must change the crossmember etc. is not wrong, he's just
suggesting a very expensive way of lowering the car (unless US spec RB cars
vary dramatically from UK spec).

I haven't tried lowering a RB car by 2 inches myself, but I have lowered my V8
racer by a bit over 1 inch without problem - and thats on 700 lb springs! I
would suggest you use the Moss competition bumpstops when you fit the lower
springs, these fit without the aluminum spacer.

I could write lots more about the subject but the best bet is to obtain a copy
of the following book:-

Race and Rally Car Source Book
by Alain Staniforth

I don't have the ISBN number to hand - let me know if you want it.

Regards,
Dave

72 BGT
76 Midget