Re: T H R E A D size...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: T H R E A D size...
From: smoe@informix.com (Shawn Moe)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 1995 10:30:15 -0500
> Nick Benson writes ...
> snip ...

> I'm experiencing problems in finding a bushing to hold a pipe into a
> threaded hole normally used for the EGR valve connection into the exhaust
> manifold on the 1500cc engine.

I has a similar problem trying to plug up the holes in the exhaust manifold
of my 1980 Jeep - I think my BritCars are too old to worry about exhaust gas
recirculation.

I was looking for a bolt 1/2" with 18 threads per inch.  "Standard" sizes for
1/2" are 14tpi (course) and 20(tpi) fine.  The guy at the auto parts store
told me that these threads are intentially odd sizes so that people cannot do
what I was trying to do - plug up the holes.

I tryed some kind of exhaust sealant goo that didn't work, and was ready to go
the way of the welder when I found some plugs at NAPA.  They weren't exactly
correct, but they were short enough that they didn't start binding until they
were just tightening up in the manifold.  They also had a selection of threaded
bushings for your purpose.

Regards,

Shawn Moe
Informix Software - Lenexa, Kansas