Re: Welding - the background please

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Welding - the background please
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 26 Oct 1995 09:26:32 -0500
In <199510261325.JAA23724@shell.monmouth.com>, Ira M. Weinstein wrote:
>I've been reading a lot about welding.  Unfortunately, I don't have
>any real auto repair / welding training.  Therefore, even the buzz
>words floating around (MIG, Gas, Arc) are a bit beyond me.
>
>Can someone please spend a few minutes and post a VERY BASIC
>description of welding?  Specifically, I would like to learn the
>following :
>
>1) What kinds of welding equipment are available for home use?
>2) What is the cost difference?
>3) Which are the easiest / safest to use?
>4) Do I need a course to use them?
>5) Can each type be used on anything?  In other words, if I own a MIG
>setup (not that I know what that is), can I use it on a door panel
>and on my exhaust?

MIG (Metal Inert Gas) welding is by far the easiest for the neophyte,
and can be done very well with some practice.  I have a 130 amp unit
that is suitable for anything from body sheet metal (and it does a
nice job there) up to about 5/16" plate.  Units cost about $300 up.
You want to get one with a gas (usually argon or argon/CO2 mix)
bottle, the flux core weld wire is pretty sloppy.  The bottle option
is usually about $125 more.  My take is that most of the units are
about the same, but be sure to get one with a continuous (not
switched) power control, which is necessary for doing work on thin
gauge metal.

You can use MIG welders without a course, but if you have a night
school course in welding at a local high school or community college
available, I'd do it.  Far more satisfactory.  Another alternative is
to get the MIG welding book and video tape from JC Whitney.  Together
cost about $40 (with the usual 10% discount), they are put together by
the Welding Institute of England, a highly respected outfit.  The tape
features a Pakistani guy named Max who is a True Artist.  Very useful,
I have reviewed it several times.

                        A. B. Bonds