Re: XJ-S V-12: Oil Coolers

To: mgs@autox.team.net, jag-lovers@psy.ewa.edu.au
Subject: Re: XJ-S V-12: Oil Coolers
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 12:59:26 -0400
Phil Bates writes:
>Thermostatically controlled oil cooler systems are also available for MGs.
>I know people that theoretically swear by them, but I don't believe the
>people I talked to had any solid evidence of the benefits.

My take on it is this:
Oil needs to be above approx. 150 deg.F. to lubricate properly.  If below
140, wear rate increases dramatically.  If you are sending ambient temp.
oil to the cooler at startup (when most wear occurs), it will take longer to
warm the oil to optimum temp., and thus increase the wear even more.

Dave Williamson (silikal@aol.com)