Another OD tranny question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Another OD tranny question
From: vortex@worldaccess.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 17:12:03 +0100
Hi fellow MG enthousiasts,

Just bought a 4-sync o/d transmission  for my non-o/d 1970 MGB.
My intention is to dismantle this box (including the o/d) and to check
and replace, if required, all seals, bearings etc. before exchanging it with my
old gearbox.
I have a few questions about this box, however.
Anyone who can answer them for me?

1. Unlike my non-o/d box, this box has no dipstick / filler hole on top of it.
    The filler hole is on the side of the box.
    Is this really a MGB gearbox? A later model year perhaps?
    I didn't see the car it came from.
    The number on top of the box reads " 1 H 7873".
    The o/d reads "GKN Laycock L.H. type O/D Nr. 22/62005/001761".
    There is a black label on the o/d, but it has been painted partially blue.
     (Red label, black label, sounds a bit like Johnnie Walker, huh?)

2. The speedo drive gear is missing.
     From my (parts supplier issued) parts list, I understand that
     two different gears are available.
     Which one should I have? How many teeth?
     My speedo says "Smiths SN-8144/24A 800" where "800" probably
     means 800 turns per click (that is 1288 turns per mile).
     (I have a KPH speedo, of course).
     The speedo gear is running on a scroll on the 'annulus'.
     I'm not sure whether there are different annuli available depending
     upon the speedo ratio.
     I only have a supplier issued parts list and it is my understanding
     that these are not always carbon copies of the British Leyland
     issued parts list. (They just leave out what they can't supply ... ).

3. Any advice on what I should *really* look into when dismantling
    this gearbox?

I really appreciate your comments. I'd hate it when, after fitting at some
distant
point in the future, I would have forgotten to check something important...

Bert Palte
Roggeveld 25,
Soest, The Netherlands
Phone ++31 35 602 39 49
Fax      ++31 35 602 62 88

1970 MGB, #GHN5-205838, not driven currently,
the weather is bad over here...