Non-Lucas electrical problem

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Non-Lucas electrical problem
From: "Jerry Causey" <antiques@whidbey.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 1995 18:02:28 -0800
Today I installed new (courtesy of JC Whitney - Polish lamps, Korean
bulbs, American relay) 90W / 130W, H4 headlamps, and a relay in my
1967 MGB GT. It seemed pretty straight-forward, but I have a problem.
The relay has two terminals marked "SWITCH" to which I connected
two approximately 12 gauge wires, one blue with white and one blue with
red which come from the dimmer switch, according to my Haynes
manual. There is another set of terminals marked "LIGHTS" which I
connected to the slightly thinner (14 - 16 gauge) duplexed wires which
actually run to the headlamps. So far, so good. Last, per the instruction
sheet,
I connected a 10 gauge wire from the relay terminal marked "BAT" to the
unfused, hot side of my fuse block (the relay has fuses).

The problem:
My headlamps are on all the time, independent of the light switch on
my dash. Did I do something wrong, or did I just get a bad relay from
JC Whitney? HELP!

Regards,
Jerry Causey