Re: MGC: What engine?

To: Phil Ethier <ethier@freenet.msp.mn.us>
Subject: Re: MGC: What engine?
From: "Gary R. Burrell" <burrelgr@tuns.ca>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 12:12:19 -0400 (AST)
On Mon, 30 Oct 1995, Phil Ethier wrote:

> I have been discussing engines with someone via private mail.
>
> He believed the six in the MGC to be the Big Healy engine.
>
> I told him that the six in the MGC was designed for the MGC.
>
> What is the story?  Where did the MGC six come from, and was it used in
> any other car?
>
> Be sure to reply directly to me, as neither of us are members of the mgs
> list.
>
> Phil Ethier <ethier@freenet.msp.mn.us>

Excerpts from MGB The Illustrated History by Wood and Burrell:
                                                        ^^^^^
                                                        IT MUST BE RIGHT

"It was decided therefore that the six-cylinder version of the MGB should
be offered in Austin Healy form which echo the Midget/Sprite theme.  The
two projects were given respective ADO 52 and ADO 51 designations"

Which engine?

"It was felt that by the time the new model went into production the C
Series unit used in the Big Healy would be somewhat long in the tooth.
The next thought was to fit the 2.2 litre Freeway six used by BMC
Australia.  .... It was in effect one and a half B series engines, but it
was thought that the unit had reached the limit of its development ....."

"... the MGC was able to use the redesigned C Series unit which was
produced for the Austin 3 Litre saloon."

"But when  the 'new' engine finally arrived at Abingdon the MG team was
horrified to find that it weighed no less then 567 Lb which was 72 Lb,
ore over half a hundredweight more than Morris Engines told them it would
be.   John Thornley clearly remembers when the unit was first fitted to
the MGC: 'It made the car kneel down.  It put the front suspension all to
hell and although that problem was resolved the mass of the engine made
the car want to go straight ahead when cornering. ....' "

"The problems that MG were experiencing with the C .... deeply disturbed
Donald Healey and his son Geoffrey, as they felt the resulting vehicle
was likely to be inferior to the MGB for which they had much respect.
.... the Austin Healey version of the MGC eas abandonded as he did not
which his name associated with the project"

Hope this helps

Gary

Character__|20_|47_|61_|72_|79_|20_|42_|75_|72_|72_|65_|6C_|6C_|20_|20_|
Electronic Signature: Gary R. Burrell P.Eng. (burrelgr@tuns.ca)
Try my new home page (http://www.tuns.ca/~burrelgr)