Re: Bodywork (cont.)

To: MACEDONIA <macedonia-statc@kaman.com>
Subject: Re: Bodywork (cont.)
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 13:33:45 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 30 Oct 1995, MACEDONIA wrote:

> First, I'd like to thank everyone for their responses to my de-rusting and
> welding questions.
>
> I have some more questions, if you don't mind:
>
> 1. Although it seems clear that MIG welding is the way to go, will it still be
> necessary to rent a spot welder for installing the sills? Or is it just a
> question of asthetics?

If you can rent one, it would ease the task in places.  You will still
need the mig, though, because it isn't likely you can get electrodes that
will let you reach everywhere.  If you can't rent one, you can get along
with just the mig.  Where it does not show, you often can weld a
continuous bead along seams, and forget about spot welds.  I like to break
the bead occasionally, so the edges of the metal show, in case somebody
ever wants to take it apart sometime 30 years down the road.  Where it
shows, you create pseudo spot welds (called plug welds or rosette welds).
Drill a 3/16 hole through one panel where it lays flat on another.  Then,
using settings a bit "hotter" than you would use normally for the guage
metal involved, weld in a tiny circle through the hole, welding the edges
of the hole to the panel beneath.  If done carefully, this does not look
very different from a spot weld.  If you grind off any excess weld bead,
it will be invisible.

> 2. Who or what is MOWOG? Is it an acronym or were they a contractor that
> supplied the machined products (engine block, manifolds, etc.) to MG?

It stands for MOrris WOlsey Group.  Exactly who or what that is, I don't
know.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910