RE: MGB Diff - UPDATE

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MGB Diff - UPDATE
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 11:56:06 -0500 (EST)

  Thanks to all who offered suggestions for removing the axle
  shaft from the diff housing.  I am happy to report that it
  is finally out (and still in one, non-chewed up piece)!

  Several people suggested using a slide hammer and/or a gear
  puller to yank the axle out.  I went to see a britcar friend
  to borrow his gear puller and explained my plight.

  Here's a trick that he showed me that made this job easy:
  after removing the rear hub, brake drum and wheel bearing cap
  and squirting the wheel bearing with penetrating oil, we secured
  just the hub back onto the axle shaft.  MGB hubs have two 1/4-28
  tapped holes opposite each other to align the brake drum.
  He screwed two long bolts into these holes, sandwiched an old dolly
  block between the tip of the bolt and the axle case flange and
  alternately tightened each bolt.  The bearing/axle eased right out
  of the case!  Life is good. (or at least it WAS until some @#$ thief
  stole 40Meg of memory from my development PC last evening...)

  Thanks again for the suggestions.

  --Scott

   Scott Hower  --> howersl@ttown.apci.com
   Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.            'Keep it simple:
   7201 Hamilton Blvd Trexlertown, PA     as simple as possible,'
   (610) 481-2646                      But not too simple --A. Einstein