Re: Welding Basics

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Welding Basics
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 17:39:38 -0500
>there have been some rave reviews on that Eastwood Stitchwelder and the
>weld-from-one-side Eastwood Spotwelder which attach to a $100 arc welder.
> They seem to indicate that these tools were effective and probably easier
>for the beginning or occassional welder to use.  Has anyone on the list
>actually used either of these tools?

I've tried the Stitchwelder and the Spotwelder.  While the Stitchwelder may
strike a good arc more easily than a normal stick welder, it is nowhere near
as easy to use as a MIG rig.  The finish of the weld is also more on the arc-
weld end than the MIG end (rough, needs lots of grinding).  It's really an
arc
welder that uses a basic buzzer device to vibrate the rod. (no snickering)

The Spotwelder seems like it works okay for joining two light panels.  But if
you stack up a floor, inner sill, reinforcement, and outer sill, it's out of
it's
league.  A MIG welder laying down a "button" through a drilled hole would be
a much better choice, and probably alot faster.

While I can see the argument made for these products by someone who is
only doing a panel or two, I really believe it is a false economy.  You may
try calling around to industrial rental services and welding supply houses to
find a rental MIG unit.  As an alternative, a smaller MIG may be a good type
of purchase for a club to make and then rent or loan to members.

>an acre is 4840 sq. yards or 43560 sq ft.  (or 2 rods by 330
>feet.  (20 chains ?))

Well, I come up with 10 square chains.
What I want to know is, how many slugs to a stone?
For extra points, how many slugs to a stone on the Moon?

Dave Williamson (silikal@aol.com)
Trick question - slugs can't live on the Moon. ;-)