Re: Does it always rattle?

To: mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Does it always rattle?
From: Ted Weiler <tweiler@eskimo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 20:59:11 -0800
At 11:10 PM 10/26/95 -0700, you wrote:

The exhaust flange gaskets that go on the head pipe(the portion just off the
header where two pipes turn into one) like to burn out leaving the pipes
kind of hanging from there bolts.  This can creates some extra(?) exhaust
noise and a very convincing rattle.

>Have you checked whether the exhaust is banging against something in the
>tunnel? Could be an exhaust hanger has given up the ghost. Highly unusual
>for B suspension to be rattling (though the '71 B-GT I mentioned in an
>earlier post had a loose rear shock connector straight from the factory
>when I picked it up at Downton).
>--
>Shel Bercovich                           "Come Ride   \/
>sbercovich@cbe.ab.ca                      with Us     /\
>Former Social Studies teacher             in Banff   /  \
>"Free at last, free at last...."          National  /    \
>Calgary, AB, Canada                       Park"    /  /\  \
>
>On Thu, 26 Oct 1995, Ira M. Weinstein wrote:
>> Whenever I hit a bump in my '77B, I hear metal rattling.  Some of the
>[snip]
>> Now the question - is this normal for an 18 yr old B ?  If not,
>[snip]

Edward B. (Ted) Weiler, TWeiler@Eskimo.com, www.eskimo.com/~tweiler
Director, Volunteers NorthWest, vnw@aol.com,www.eskimo.com~tweiler/vnw.html
Membership, MG Car Club NorthWest Centre
          mgccnwc@aol.com, www.eskimo.com/~tweiler/mgccnwc.html