RE: Smoke

To: CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu
Subject: RE: Smoke
From: "Lee Daniels, daniels@tamu.edu" <DANIELS@alchem.chem.tamu.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 14:20:06 -0600 (CST)
>Would anyone like to repost that very informative explanation of how wires
>carry smoke that was posted about a year ago?

Here 'tis, appended below.  You're welcome.

Lee M. Daniels   Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding   Texas A&M
 daniels@tamu.edu            (409) 845-3726          Fax (409) 845-9351
 '74 TR6  '77 MGB
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 93 7:25:14 EDT
From: GeorgeMurphy_NOAC@ctdvns1.CTD.ORNL.GOV
Subject: LUCAS Theory

Found this in a Mercedes-enz newsletter...lbc owners can appreciate it...GM

                       Electrical Theory by Joseph Lucas

                     by Bob Gunforth in the MBCA StarDust

Positive ground depends upon proper circuit functioning, the transmission of
negative ions by retention of the visible spectral manifestation known as
"smoke". Smoke is the thing that makes electrical circuits work; we know this
to be true because every time one lets the smoke out of the electrical
system, it stops working.  This can be verified repeatedly through empirical
testing.

When, for example, the smoke escapes from an electrical component (i.e., say,
a Lucas voltage regulator), it will be observed that the component stops
working. The function of the wire harness is to carry the smoke from one
device to another; when the wire harness "springs a leak", and lets all the
smoke out of the system, nothing works afterwards.  Starter motors were
frowned upon in British Automobiles for some time, largely because they
consume large quantities of smoke, requiring very large wires.

It has been noted that Lucas components are possibly more prone to electrical
leakage than Bosch or generic Japanese electrics.  Experts point out that
this is because Lucas is British and all things British leak.  British
engines leak oil, shock absorbers, hydraulic forks and disk brakes leak
fluid, British tyres leak air and the British defense establishment leaks
secrets...so, naturally, British electrics leak smoke.

>From the basic concept of electrical transmission of energy in the form of
smoke, a better understanding of the mysteries of electrical components,
especially those of Lucas manufacture, is gained by the casual user.