Classic car businesses

To: mgs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Classic car businesses
From: Railroad@gnn.com (Glen Wilson)
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 1995 15:10:25
I'd be interested in hearing from people on the list who either are or have
been involved in some sort of business that deals in classic cars (even
non-British ones).  There don't seem to be any businesses in my area which
operate a sort of classic car dealership.  I'm talking here about cars below
the $10,000 mark.  Is that because it's inherently non-profitable?  There's a
fair amount of money around here, and I think that the purchase of hobby cars
below the show quality level often comes down to the impulse buying level.
You may be a British car person, but if you see a very solid '67 Mustang
Fastback that only needs a little bit to make it really nice, and it's
reasonably priced, you might be tempted.  Or maybe you live in the Northeast
and see a worn but rust-free Texas MG for a few grand.

Also, most of the local British car repair shops and parts stores I've dealt
with appear to be pretty unprofessionally run operations (mind you, these
people seem to be making it in business for themselves).  Your parts don't
always get ordered like they said, you open a new box and the part is
obviously used, you phone in to see if a part is in stock and drive 45
minutes to pick it up and find out it's not the part they thought it was.  Is
it because I'm looking at it from an MG perspective?  Are Jaguar shops much
better?  Is there a market out there for a more classy operation or do people
just not care?

I live near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

'59 English Ford 100E Squire Deluxe Estate (Excellent Original)
'67 MG 1100 Saloon (Runs & Drives)
'66 MG Midget (Really Nice)
'66 MG Midget (Solid Project Car)