RE: Batteries on Concrete and Darwin

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Batteries on Concrete and Darwin
From: jfischer@supercollider.com (James Fischer)
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 14:31:20 -0500
"REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu> observed:

>Further Theories....
>Any time you have an intermittent electrical problem in an MG you are
>experiencing the combined effects of two MGs' auras passing by and briefly
>occupying each other's space. This is only a temporary condition and will
>only occur when you are within a few miles of another MG.

    This is the basic Darwinian reason why all British car drivers
    wave to each other when they see each other.  I myself tend to
    flash my lights or honk the air horns, rather than wave.

    The motivation is SURVIVAL OF THE SPECIES:

        I see you, and you see me, therefore we wave, and
        acknowledge each to the other that if the other were
        pulled off on the shoulder with a car that was in the
        midst of "declining to proceed", we would help with
        diagnosis, tools, spares, and repairs, or at least
        give the stranded driver a lift.

        In actual fact, stopping to help another driver may well
        cause YOUR car to fail in "sympathy" for the other car,
        as the above theory suggests.  This at least allows the
        two drivers to work together, and make one working car
        from the two dead ones, thus increasing the net knowledge
        base about the cars.  Very, very subtle Darwinian things
        going on here...  The cars, you see are PARASITES, so they
        WANT to fail in strange and usual ways in order to make
        us all "smarter", so we can support them better.

        In actual fact, they are parasites on our time and effort,
        and/or bank accounts, so they LIVE off the diet fed to
        them when they get sulky and "neglect to advance".

        The waving to each other is OUR Darwinian survival skill.
        The astute student will note that FAILING ITSELF is the
        Darwinian survival skill of the British Car, for the
        reasons outlined above.  Tricky little things, aren't they?

The 2nd Law of Thermodynamics says "Natural processes increase entropy".
Translation  - "You think you're in trouble now?  Just you wait..."

   james fischer                       jfischer@supercollider.com