Re: advice on a RELIABLE used car for an LBC fanatic

To: "W. B. Olson" <WBOLSON@cherokee.astate.edu>,
Subject: Re: advice on a RELIABLE used car for an LBC fanatic
From: BLECKSTEIN@SHELL.MONMOUTH.COM
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 21:14:23 -0500

On Fri, 10 Nov 1995, "W. B. Olson" <WBOLSON@cherokee.astate.edu> wrote:
>> From:           The Warped Goat <dedwards@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
>> Subject:        advice on a RELIABLE used car for an LBC fanatic
>> To:             mgs@autox.team.net
>> Date sent:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 20:15:16 -0500 (EST)
>> Send reply to:  The Warped Goat <dedwards@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
>

>> I was thinking about buying a used car of some sort for use in the winter
when
>> my '68 MGB is safely tucked in the garage.  This car would be for commuting
>> and from work and school, and should therefore be "reliable".  Any ideas on
>> such a car?  Something slightly eccentric would be nice...
>>      Or do you scoff at my perception of an MG as unreliable, and therefore
>> recommend a beater MG?  :)
>>
>> Benjy.
>> --
>>
>> benj@proxima.cc.colorado.edu                 1968 MGB MkII
>> b_edwards@rikki.cc.colorado.edu              1992 Trek 2300 Dura-Ace STI
>> bedwards@goedel.cc.colorado.edu              1992 Rocky Mountain Hammer
>>
>I suggest an older volvo.  They run forever and aren't too expensive.
>I have one (an 84 wagon) for sale - but I'm in arkansas and that's
>too far away for you.  ssurely there's something in the Denver area
>and surrounds.  Good luck.
>

>The answer is another MG. About a dozen years ago I bought a 70 BGT for $200
that was rusted from one wheel well to the other. It ran fine. My sales pitch
my wife was to save and garage the "good" MG for the winter and part out the GT
in the spring. Problem came when I fell in love with the GT after 4 months.
Result: two MGs.and a new restoration project! The GT has always been reliable
.
After the restoration came the next winter and well there are a lot of cheap
MGs
looking for winter homes .Don't worry some day one runs out of space or
restoration money. Have you checked out the 1100 discussions this week? On
second thought buy the volvo!

Mike Leckstein