Faking car noises (WAS: Air injectors and performance (WAS: MGB '69 bett

To: mgs@autox.team.net, fickes@taurus.apple.com
Subject: Faking car noises (WAS: Air injectors and performance (WAS: MGB '69 better than '67?))
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 95 10:43:47 PST
Stan Fickes said:

> I have considered going to an electric motor for the Sprite, but decided I
> couldn't afford the amp and speakers to reproduce the sound.  It would have
> to be integrated with the loud pedal and road speed to correctly simulate
> the engine sound given the existant conditions...  sf

Funny you should mention faking car noises, I've always wanted to develop
an anti-theft device that would imitate the sound of a battery running
down while cranking.  There'd be a switch hidden somewhere under the dash
that would determine if the key sent power to the actual starter or to a
solenoid that would push the "play" button on a tape player.  The tape
player would run off of one AAA battery and have a continuous loop of tape
containing one or more grunts of a starter turning over an engine.  As the
AAA battery ran down, the tape would slow down making it sound like the
battery was running out of juice.  The thief would give up in disgust and
go steal something more reliable like a Fiat.  Do you think somebody's
already patented this idea?

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com