RE: O/D Not Engaging

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: O/D Not Engaging
From: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil (Mark A. Dodd, WL/ELOD, X55581/64158)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 95 10:02:00 EST
Dave Sims asks:

>PS. And now what do I need to do the get the @#&%* O/D to engage?? Any other
>suggestions in regard to that?? I really don't want to pull the engine again.
I think you said that your O/D solenoid is engaging.  How did you check this?
The solenoid has two coils, and one may be burned out.  One coil handles a lot
of current right at the start, this one provides the actual kick to the O/D.
The second coil handles much less current, but but can handle the current for
long periods of time.  This one keeps the O/D engaged after the initial kick.
It may be that one or the other of these coils is shot and causing all of your
problems.  It may also be that the big kicker coil is getting week and doesn't
have enough umph to get the O/D to engage.  I think you can check the coils on
the car.  If you have a voltmeter that measures current, use it.  The current
should spike when you first kick in the O/D and then go to steady state.  I
don't know the values, but your manual may give them.  Someone on the list
probably has a Lucas trouble shooting guide which should also give the current
values.
Hope this helps.....

Mark A Dodd                 Working in the dark (infrared)
email: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil Working in the grease (MGs)
Snail: 2700 D St, Ste 2     Working in the dust (212 Central
       WPAFB, OH 45433-7405                      Dayton, OH)
       (513) 255-5581