battery voltage bet

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: battery voltage bet
From: russ@scubed.com (Russ Wilson)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 15:48:13 -0800
All:

Speaking of 17 volts from errant voltage regulators, does anyone know the
theoretical maximum voltage available from a fully-charged automotive
lead-acid battery.  I'm involved in an bet on this subject that, to my
amazement, has gone unresolved for years and I'd sure like to collect my
winning lunch!

I need a real number, not someone's "IMHO", or even a measurement (of which
I have made many).  At the time the bet was consumated, I thought I would
dig out my old chemistry book, look up the potentials for the
half-reactions, multiply by 6 and head for lunch, either as buyer or buyee.
Didn't happen.  I've found agonizing detail on all sorts of batteries, but
the lead/lead oxide/sulfuric acid reaction seems to be a bit of a secret.

Russ Wilson

                 "Stop the drift - reunite Gondwana"