Re: MGB cam alignment

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB cam alignment
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 24 Nov 1995 11:15:16 -0600
In <9511231354.AA03832@woody.wcnet.org>, John Gindlesberger wrote:
>        I noticed a discrepancy between the Haynes and the Bentley manuals
>regarding the alignment of the cam sprocket and the crank. On investigating
>my 68B, I believe it is positioned according to the Bentley manual, which
>may explain why the distributor is rotated to the point of nearly hitting
>the starter.  Which is correct?  What is the effect of the incorrect
>placement (which I fear I may have!)?

Hmmm.  Having done this fairly recently, I am unaware of the
discrepancy of which you speak.  The cam sprocket and crank sproket
are unambiguously aligned when the dots that are on their respective
edges are in line with each other and in line with the centers of
rotation of the sprockets.   OTOH, there is some problem in figuring
out exactly where to put the distributor drive gear.  There are two
differing positions recommended depending on the engine. It does not
really matter so long as your timing is correct, but you may end up
with an odd distributor orientation, as you suggest.  I ended up
dropping in the distributor gear such that the vacuum advance is very
nearly vertical, with the hose on top and the adjuster on the bottom.

                        A. B. Bonds