Re: Silicon Brake fluid in the clutch ???

To: mgs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Silicon Brake fluid in the clutch ???
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 13:30:28 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 25 Nov 1995, Gary R. Burrell wrote:

> Going one step further I could do the clutch at the same time.  Then in
> order to only have one type of brake fluid in the car I could go to
> silicon on the clutch as well.  Has anyone done this?  How does it work?
> Keep in mind that if I do this I will go to new lines and new or rebuilt
> cylinders (I'll probably rebuild them myself) so old fluid in the lines
> etc. will not be an issue.

I started using silicone brake fluid in my TR-4 daily driver about five
years ago, after a complete overhaul of the brake and clutch hydraulics
much like you are planning.  Absolutely no negative effects so far.

However, I still do a complete flush of the both systems with fresh
silicone fluid every two years.  It's true that silicone fluid doesn't
absorb moisture like DOT3 fluid does, but given the crude reservoir
venting used in older BritCars it's still possible for a lot of moisture
to get into the system.  The difference is, with silicone fluid the
moisture settles in layers in low parts of the system, where it can still
cause rust.  Maybe I'm overly cautious, but on the other hand I'm not
especially fond of rebuilding brake cylinders...

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.