Names for cars?

To: BLECKSTEIN@SHELL.MONMOUTH.COM
Subject: Names for cars?
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 17:23:44 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 6 Dec 1995 BLECKSTEIN@SHELL.MONMOUTH.COM wrote:
> Andy: I note that your cars have names. I purchase from UK several years ago
>my
> YB sedan. It came with a name "Plum". Friends that  have bought cars in the
>UK
> also found that the cars had names. Although not unheard of, it is not my
> experience for us Yanks to name our cars , at least not in my area. Maybe
>this
> is a new thread, but I am curious if this is a regional thing. When I mean
> names, I mean real names like yours, not the names that are slang or worse,
>the
> things we call our cars when they are driving us nuts.
>
> Mike Leckstein ,New Jersey USA

In my street lived a lady who drove a red/white early Healey in original
unrestored condition. She always had the top down, no matter what weather
(OK, that was in Tucson, Arizona...). I pulled up next to her at the
neighborhood gas station in my Sprite and started talking about cars. She
said "So what is yours named?" as if that was the most normal thing to
ask (like "how much oil does yours loose?"). Fortunately, I had named my
Sprite on an exciting trip to San Francisco (crud from the tank in one of
the carbs every couple of hours, dead NEW battery).
So I replied "Ian!", also pretending this to be the most normal
conversation. She said "Well meet Huxley (sp?)".
Nice name I think.
Actually on that trip with many breakdowns, I even named the two carbs,
but that's a different story...

Ulix "Let's hope my fuel pump stays anonymous!" Goettsch
                      sprite                 caddy