Re: mgb 5 speed ?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: mgb 5 speed ?
From: gmccann@pcug.org.au (Graham McCann)
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 14:09:54 +1100
>There's been a lot of talk about putting 5 speed trannys in Sprite or
>Midgets, has anyone tried successfully to put one in an MGB or MGA.  I
>get asked frequently about the conversion for an MGB.  Would love to know
>if it would work and of course without taking out a 2nd mortgage on the
>house to finiance the project.

I have replied to a couple of people direct on this matter but a common
conversion here in Oz is a five speed box from what is called the Toyota
Celica here (4 cylinder 1800cc or thereabouts).  For a V8 or to be a bit
stronger the Toyota Supra (2 litre odd V6) box is used.  Adapter plates are
freely available.

Driving my MGB roadster V8 conversion with the Toyota box compared to my
original MGB GT V8 with the four speed and overdrive the standard box is, in
my view, less effort as the fifth gear is simply a switch.
Also the MG box is a bit more notchy and positive.

Maybe I am a bit lazy!

Regards,
Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia
gmccann@pcug.org.au