Re: anthropomorphizing

To: mgs@autox.team.NET
Subject: Re: anthropomorphizing
From: "A.D.Smith" <A.D.Smith@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 10:05:56 GMT
>> Denise Thorpe
>>>Mike MacLeod, as a voice in the wilderness, cried:
>>>
>>> Is it just me?  Am I the only one who refuses to encumber an
>>> automobile, no matter how cherished, with a name?

I think most people name their cars once they get to the stage of realizing
that there must be some will involved in making it stop working / leak oil.
Also, many old cars seem to have personalities, they don't like cold, or being
driven too hard, or wednesdays, or whatever.  It makes us feel more at ease with
them if they have a name, especially if we have more than one car, we can say
"shall we take Mary today", "No lets take Mungo".  Kind of family like.

>>>Me either.  It's 16 years now for me and my B and it's never had a name.
>>>one of the reasons I drive MG's is that they're _not_ boats.

Oh, and I always thought that 'Bs handled like boats, so maybe a female name
might help   :-)

As for Mary and Mungo, well has no-one ever heard of Mary, Mungo and Midge, the
famous trio ?  Need I say more ?

Andy

Andy Castellano Smith.          | email: a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk
Image Processing Group.         | http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/~as/
Cunliffe Labs, New Guy's House. | tel. : 0171 955 4208
Guy's Hospital, London SE1 9RT. | fax. : 0171 955 4913

       1977 Chrome Bumper Midget "Mungo" for short.
DPO of 1975 Rubber Bumper Midget "Mary"  for short.