wishlist, MkII

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: wishlist, MkII
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 08:02:00 -0500
Fellow fiends:

I read the following in the 12/18/95 issue of AutoWeek
(therefore, it *must* be true, right?) in their small section on vintage
cars and related topics:

"THE MARKET

'B' good for Santa

If you are looking for the best sub-$10,000 collectible vintage sports car
to ask Santa to put under the tree, it has to be a '63 to '74 MGB roadster.
While prices of new two seaters continue to climb, with Miatas crossing the
$20,000 threshold and the new BMW surpassing $30,000, near-prefect MGBs can
still be found in the VISA gold-card price range.

Introduced as a replacement for the curvacious but archaic MGA, the 'B'
boasted such refinements as a usable trunk, a good heater, and much to the
dismay of MG fanatics, roll-up windows.

The 1800 cc four-cylander is capable of propelling the MGB with 0-60 mph
times of 12 seconds.  The optional Laycock de Normanville electric overdrive
is highly desireable, since it makes freeway cruising a breeze rather than
an engine-buzzing, mind-numbing nightmare.

The best MGBs are late '64 through '67 models, with uprated five-main
bearing engines.  Wire wheels are a plus, as are the correct leather facings
on the seats rather than aftermarket vinyl covers.  Don't buy a rusty car,
or one that needs restoration.  Get Santa to plunk down the $7,500 to $9,000
necessary to buy a first rate example, and you'll be going to vintage events
in style in 1996."

Don't say Denise didn't tell you so!  You remember what happened to E-type
prices...  well, you ain't seen nothing yet.  Just don't buy a rusty one,
and don't mess with the restoration process.

cheers,
Will "freeway cruising?" Zehring

p.s. AutoWeek is what's mind-numbing, I should think.

p.p.s.  Attn race fans: my local Detroit NPR station reports that CART has
voted for to approve a race at the Michigan Intl. Speedway on Memorial Day
Weekend.