Re: overdrive problems

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: overdrive problems
From: Ted Weiler <tweiler@eskimo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 08:31:40 -0800 (PST)
At 08:57 PM 12/18/95 -0700, you wrote:

>I wish it were so. But my solenoid plunger is conically shaped and therefore
>cannot be reversed. It is a later OD unit, probably a 73, that I acquired
>from a junkyard about ten years ago.
>
>I suspect the solenoid itself may be bad - however, it is too easy to
>replace although very expensive. Still, I hope I don't have to pull the OD
>as its a pain in the butt to remove.

We had an OD problem that turned out to be the 3/4th gear switch.  I believe
you have already checked that.  In the process of trouble shooting I pulled
the solenoid out and discovered that there is a small ball that sits on top
of it.  The ball is what actually opens and closes the valve.  If it isn't
in properly, you won't get shifting even if the solenoid operates.  I found
mine with a magnet on a stick in the oil catch pan I always use when doing
stuff like that.  To put it back in you put a very small dab of grease on
the tip of the solenoid to hold the ball while you insert the solenoid.  On
the other hand, maybe you knew all of this and it is something else entirely
but maybe it will help some other poor soul who didn't know.

Ted
Edward B. (Ted) Weiler TWeiler@Eskimo.com  TedWeiler@AOL.COM
Director, Volunteers NorthWest                   VNW@AOL.COM
          http://www.eskimo.com/~tweiler/vnw.html