Leaking B fenders

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Leaking B fenders
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 95 11:36:31 PST
Gary Burrell made a suggestion about my fender leak:

> On Tue, 19 Dec 1995, Denise Thorpe wrote:
>
> > Replacing a fender can definitely be done by someone who doesn't weld
> > because I've done it and I don't weld.  When I got done, it looked great
> > but it leaked.  I put body putty everywhere I could think of, but I must
> > have missed somewhere because whenever my car gets wet, water runs down the
> > interior panel in front of the passenger door.  It's on my list of things
> > to fix.  Someday.
> >
> > Denise "So many cars, so little daylight" Thorpe
> > thorpe@kegs.saic.com
> >

> Denise,
>
> Did you check where the fender is bolted under the hood (bonnet) and it
> bends up at the back.  (I know not a great description but you get the
> picture) The body putty should bend down into there.

I'm sure I didn't because at the time I replaced the fender, I thought
the body putty was just for cushioning.  Since Dave Hall has the same leak
in his GT, the answers to these questions may be of general interest.
When you say "bends up at the back," do you mean in front of the bead
between the fender and the scuttle(?) (plenum? the part right behind the
hood)?  Can I stuff body putty in there without removing the fender, say,
by reaching through the crescent shaped panel behind the front wheel?  Or
will this just make a pocket that will collect water and rust my car?
Should I stop assuming that an ex-mechanic can easily do bodywork and ask
a body person for advice next time?

Dense Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com