starting new rebuilt motor

To: Will Zehring <wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu>
Subject: starting new rebuilt motor
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 12:16:14 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 4 Jan 1996, Will Zehring wrote:
> Another thing I've been told with a rebuilt engine: keep the rpms up high
> (at least 2000) for the first ten minutes or more.  Can someone corroborate
> this wisdom?  I suppose it promotes tappet seating or some such thing?

A.P.T.s catalog says in the section on performance cams
:
"Starting the engine for the first time:
Do not allow th engine to to run below 2000 rpm. Ideally, vary the rpm
between 2400 and 2900. If it starts to get hot, shut it down. DO NOT LET
IT IDLE FOR THE FIRST 20-30 MINUTES. Cams are designed to work
"DYNAMICALLY", slow running when new can cause scuffing and premature wear."

Ulix
                      sprite                 caddy