Re: Ground Positive

To: "GREGG H. BAKER" <76363.2166@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Ground Positive
From: Dirk de Boer <deboer@duke.usask.ca>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 16:54:38 -0800 (PST)
On 8 Jan 1996, GREGG H. BAKER wrote:

> Anyone,
> I've got a 57 A and wonder if the ground positive system should be
> addressed. Are there any reasons why I should consider changing to
> a ground negative system.

There are a couple of reasons to upgrade: you can fit a modern radio
and other negative ground accesories without having to insulate them,
and you can fit an alternator which allows your charging system to
keep up with those accesories. Also, with a negative ground car you
don't have to worry about getting a boost and connecting the booster
cables wrong.

Having said that, I have kept my 1966 B positive ground. The charging
system works just fine the way it is with the new generator I put in last
summer. Also, I don't have a radio and it's easy to remember that you
have to reverse the booster cable in the very unlikely event that a
boost would be needed. The main reason, however, that I don't switch
is that I have a positive ground tachometer. Even though it over
estimates the rpm's by a few hundreds, I don't feel like ripping into
it to switch it around.

I consider positive ground to provide period charm, and if well
maintained there is no reason to switch.

Dirk