Re: Guide to buying used Snap-On tools.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Guide to buying used Snap-On tools.
From: Glenn Schnittke <glenns@edge.ercnet.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 23:32:01 -0600
>Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 12:42:37 -0700 (MST)
>From: southern@sol.cgd.ucar.EDU (Lawrence Buja)
>Subject: Guide to buying used Snap-On tools.
>

>There's an old saying regarding buying expensive tools:
>
>     "When you pay for quality, you only cry once."

>etc.

I can't for get the first time I walked into a Snap-On truck. I thought I'd
died and gone to heaven. I needed a socket to fit the crank nut on the
maroon and the only ratchets or bars I had were 3/8" and 1/2". The only
socket Sears had was in 3/4" drive and I wound up calling Snap-On. The nice
lady told me the name of the closest route driver to me and I called him and
met him on his rounds. There were tools plastered on every square inch of
the inside of that truck; ceiling, walls, back door, dashboard, everywhere.
There were tools behind tools; tools under tools; tools INSIDE tools! And
they were ALL well made. I wanted to buy the whole truck. I finally bought
the socket, a pair of small needlenose pliers and a good flat blade
screwdriver (I was planning on setting the points that day, too). And walked
away with a catalog.

Thanks for the guide. I'll be making my list and checking it twice.

But about the rule:

>" - The cost of a new Snap-On tool will be about five times the cost of
>    the equivalent new Craftsman tool."

The 1/2" drive socket I bought from Snap-On was cheaper than buying the
socket and the 1/2" to 3/4" adaptor from Sears.

Glenn
Joyful Driving

Glenn Schnittke                    Recovering Musician
Nashville TN                       615-385-2800
glenns@edge.ercnet.com             72147.3635@compuserve.com