Re: Vacuum advance

To: Todd Mullins <todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Vacuum advance
From: Dirk de Boer <deboer@duke.usask.ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 11:44:05 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 11 Jan 1996, Todd Mullins wrote:

> > Anyway, I pulled the dizzy yesterday and confirmed what I suspected:  My
> > vacuum advance unit was frozen.  Lots of WD40 and tugging later, it
> > moves, but I had expected it to move a lot easier.  Actually, I had
> > expected to be able to suck on the vacuum hose and watch the little guy

You should be able to make it work by sucking on the vacuum hose. If
it doesn't work that easily it needs to be taken apart and cleaned up.

The purpose of the vacuum advance is to get an earlier spark during
high vacuum conditions, but I cannot remember whether vacuum is higher
during idle or at high rpm's. Anybody else who does?
I do recall stories about vacuum operated windshield wipers slowing
down when overtaking another car in the rain, which would indicate
lower vacuum during high rpm's.

Dirk