Re: Removing studs

To: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@sfo-nichols.com>
Subject: Re: Removing studs
From: Craig Wiper <craigw@sonic.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 17:49:53 -0800
At 02:12 PM 1/15/96 -0600, you wrote:
>When removing studs from the head is it preferable to jam two nuts on the
>threaded part or try to grab it with vice-grips or something in the
>middle or is there another way?  Should new studs be used in all cases or
>are there times when the old ones may be reused?
>
>Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA
>Nichols Research Corp.
>Shalimar FL USA

I had a problem removing some old studs that were frozen in place on my '74B
block. A friend at work told me to try spraying them with "Aeroduster", a
product used to clean electronic parts. It is _very_ cold when sprayed for
any length of time and forms frost almost immediately. I tried this. It took
a hole can, standard aerosol size, but the coldness shrank the studs just
enough to break them free. Before I used this, I couldn't budge them. As I
sprayed each one, one at a time, each one started to free up as I tried to
unscrew them with the above mentioned method (two nuts tightened on the stud).

I believe that the company who makes "Aeroduster" is Miller-Stephens.

Bye, Craig
early '74B
craigw@sonic.net