Front bearings

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Front bearings
From: Glenn Schnittke <glenns@edge.ercnet.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 09:16:19 -0600
Being in the middle of a front end rebuild on the prim (actually a
transfer), I have an opportunity to redo the bearings. The normal setup
being such a pain in the ass, I started rethinking the spacer/shim setup.

The setup was designed, as I understand it, for a cylindrical bearing. I
can't remember seeing a cylindrical bearing on a car of any sort in ages.

With the conical bearings in normal use today, wouldn't you want to do away
with the spacer? I think you would want to put the load perpendicular to the
axis of the individual bearing cylinder. When using cylindrical bearings,
the load is perp when driving straight but off perp while cornering. When
using conical bearings, the only time you're side loading the bearing would
be when driving straight ahead. I guess maybe if you fudged the spec
endfloat, you could get the load compromise evened out, but this is probably
nitpicking. If not, what would the spec fudge be and how would you calculate it?

Glenn "Oh, like there aren't more important things to think about" Schnittke
Robbing Peter to pay Paul will get you a good credit rating with Paul.

Glenn Schnittke                    Recovering Musician
Nashville TN                       615-385-2800
glenns@edge.ercnet.com             72147.3635@compuserve.com