Wierd fuel leak

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Wierd fuel leak
From: john peloquin <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 09:05:48 -0800 (PST)
Dear Netters,

When I started my 1970 MGB-GT up to get it ready to smog after it had sat
for a couple of years during my restoration, I smelled fuel leaking.
After checking the usual flexible lines for the leak and seeing they were
intact, I saw that the fuel was coming OUT OF THE CHARCOAL VAPOR
ADSORPTION CANNISTER! in the rear right hand corner of the engine
compartment! I am assuming that the valve on one of the carburator floats
was not shutting off the fuel flowing into the bowl. Since the fuel pump
continued ticking, albeit at a much reduced rate, I assume that the bowl
filled, but the flow didn't shut off due to that sticking float valve.
The bowl filled and then over filled and fuel flowed up the vapor capture
pipes and into the cannister, where I had the pleasure of observing this
freakish and dissappointing behavior. I assume this means a carburator
rebuild :(

I'd do it myself, except that there are these "tamperproof" devices that
block access to the jets and the line from the fuel bowl. I'm afraid that
if I do the rebuild myself, the smog police will fail my car, even though
I will do it all by the book.

I'm a poor postdoc with a new baby, so I would really like to avoid paying
someone 300+ dollars to rebuild my SU4's. Has anyone any suggestions?

John Peloquin
Riverside, CA