GT Door Trim/Grosse Jets +

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: GT Door Trim/Grosse Jets +
From: mgguyc100@zeus.newedge.net (NewEdge IAS)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 22:36:20 -0400
Greetings all!

The highlight of my day lately is checking my e-mails from this group! Just
great.

With regards to W. Gibbons' response to Bill Mills on the
tape-under-the-chrome-trim-on-the-GT-door - be careful trimming it with a
razor blade! Cut through the paint, and you've defeated the purpose. The
silicone idea seems best.

I recall reading some posts about Grosse Jets. I installed them in my '68,
and after a few hundred miles, started experiencing some major problems with
flooding on the front carb. I must have pulled that bowl off a hundred times
trying to figure out why the jet wasn't shutting off. The result was
flooding. Couldn't figure this out. Most embarassing moment - the car just
barely running as I pulled onto the field at John Twist's summer party back
in '93. Car seemed to run well at speed, but refused to idle, smoked,
coughed. Very annoying. Just before heading off to the awards banquet, where
the car collected a 2nd in the Mk II class :)..I ripped off the float
chamber top for the hundred and first time. Everything still looked OK, but
for some reason I removed the small hose that connects to the vent pipe, and
blew through it.

Nothing. Clogged. The hose had deteriorated to the point where it was
completely sealed. Result - no venting. Replaced the pipe - never had a
problem since. Keep this in mind if and when you have flooding problems on
your SUs with Grosse Jets, or standard jets for that matter.

With regards to ODs, I just purchased a rebuilt engine and OD for about 1000
Cdn. (In US funds, that's about 27 dollars (kidding..exchange humour)) The
450 mentioned seems like a steal.

Two questions. Does anyone with an OD have a relay in the system? VicBrit
lists an relay in their 'Electrical' section (their part #8-462..I agree
w/Gary Burrel on part #s), however they indicate it as applied to the early
(63-67) Bs. The same relay is listed as the heated rear window relay for
67-75 GTs!?

Many..*many* years ago (1978!)I had an OD installed in my GT. Cost a grand
at the time (Cdn...then, about 36 US (same bad joke)). It's been flawless
all of these years, however the shop who did the installation installed a
relay in the system. The same relay as the heated rear screen...hmmmmm.

Second question. I've backdated my '77 to dual HS4s, and used a pre-rubber
bumper radiator and shroud. Easy install with a pair of L shaped brackets
mounted to the fender wells. It positions in exactly the same location as
the earlier cars, leaving the later car's mounting pieces to mount my air
horns. Aaannnyway..this renders the wiring for the electric fans useless.
When I bought the car, the rad & fans were already gone. There's two wires,
one green, one Black/green. The Black/Green has had a line fuse installed.
What was it's original destination/use? The green wire has a female spade
connector. It's destination/use? Any recommendations on what to do with
these now? (please be polite!) Can I terminate them in any manner?

Thanks in advance!

Terry "Don't belong to the men of few words department" Williams
'70 GT
'68 roadster
'77 roadster
1000 questions