Re: Tow Bar

To: prsmith@satcom.whit.org
Subject: Re: Tow Bar
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 19:55:08 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, 26 Jan 1996 prsmith@satcom.whit.org wrote:

> Hi
>
> This is the third time I have posted this.  I think it got lost the first
> two times.
>
> If I  remove the front rubber bumper from my 80B, can I attach a tow bar
> to the bracketss on the car - are they strong enough for this task?  does
> anyone have a recommended tow bar type or plans to build one?
>
> Of course i will disconnect and tie up the drive shaft - do i have to tie
> down the steering wheel?

I haven't seen this before, so I think it did indeed get lost.
I have not done this with a rubber bumper car, but with a chrome bumper
Sprite. Since the bumper brackets on a rubber bumper car have to be MUCH
stronger (it's mounted to the cars "frame rails"), this should be no problem.
I think most people lock the steering lock, if you can't lock it so that
the tires point straight ahead you might have to leave a key in the
ignition and tie up the steering with a rope or such.

I don't think it is really necessary to disconnect the drive shaft on a
manual transmission car (automatics don't get lubricated if the engine is
not running), of course it would be a little less wear on the tranny...
Depends on how far you are going and how often you want to use the car on
the trip, I'd say.
Ulix
                      sprite                 caddy