Re: trailer hitch

To: HANSONDR@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: trailer hitch
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 18:03:20 +0500
>Does anyone know of a "stock" or "have built" a trailer hitch for a 80 mgb. I
>plan to pull a fiberglass motorcycle trailer.

The PO of my 77 had a trailer hitch on it, though I never saw the hitch
itself.  There are two pairs of holes in the metal underside of the bumper,
just beyond the rubber.  Kinda like this.

 o<-2.5"->o<--------- 15" --------->o<-2.5"->o

Looks like he drilled these holes himself.  They've wallowed out a bit.
Guess he had to take the bumper off to mount and dismount the trailer hitch,
as there are no captive nuts or anything threaded to screw a bolt into.

There are also two pairs of holes at the outside edges of the same metal
strip underneath the bumper.  These holes look like they came from the
factory, on my car at least, as they have nuts welded above.  Can't imagine
the intended purpose of these holes unless it was for a trailer hitch.

Anyway, you could get away with a fairly generic trailer hitch.  Can't see
anything that would require a mount unique to the B.  A U-Haul dealer should
be able to do the mounting if it turns out it requires any fabrication.  In
fact, a U-Haul dealer would be my first stop.  They've usually got a wide
variety of hitches, and one is sure to fit well.
--
Jay Tilton / jtilton@vt.edu  (vt = Virginia Tech)
http://fbox.vt.edu:10021/J/jtilton/index.html