Re: MGB Transmission buying questions.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Transmission buying questions.
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 29 Jan 1996 08:47:17 -0600
In <199601271700.LAA19873@server.iadfw.net>, Chad Cooper wrote:

>You do not have to use a diff. driveline for O/D. I put an O/D in my '72 as
>well, and when on the floor the to trannies are exactly the same length.

Once again.  The ONLY time you need a different driveshaft is for
early cars with D type ODs.

>Make sure that the Trans. you put in has a first and second gear
lockout >switch that works this prevents O/D from being selected in first and
second
>gears.  The higher shaft speeds of first and second gears are very bad for
>the O/D unit..

Actually, it ain't the high shaft speed, it's the high torque, which
can pop your little planet gears.  Also ill-advised to shift into
reverse, which will shred your one-way clutch.

                A. B. Bonds