Re: Leaded Gas

To: MGS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Leaded Gas
From: Motorheadx@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 1996 14:48:40 -0500
When leaded gas mostly disappeared there was concern over the effects of
unleaded gas on engine parts designed for leaded gas.  I believe that the
consensus of various car clubs and other organizations in the US included the
following:

1.  For most cars, the engine damage would occur after many miles prompting
repairs or rebuilds somewhat, though not lots, sooner than would appear with
normal (leaded) wear.

2.  Use no lead additives.  Difficulties with lead additives included finding
the correct dose and the frequent residue build-up from adding too much.

3.  When rebuilding, use "unleaded" valve seats and other component upgrades.

These notes are from memory and experience.  I have no primary sources to
quote on this matter.

Have fun,

Jeff and your friends at Motorhead
2811-B Old Lee Hwy