Re: MGB head scratchers

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB head scratchers
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 09 Feb 1996 13:03:27 -0600
In <9601098238.AA823888270@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com>,
joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com wrote:
>Well, I'm about too take the plunge and buy my first MGB.  And I have a few
>questions about a roadster I'm considering.
>
>1)  It seems a former owner was so concerned about rust he (or she)>welded
>extra
>metal beneath the floor pan.  (I've been told the car has no rust)  I know
>it's
>weird, but is it good? Is there anything I should be concerned
>about?  Is there
>anything I should look for?

That sounds like a pretty fishy story.  Two bad things:  (1) Even if
there were no rust, by welding in an extra section this provides a
closed region that can collect water and cause rust.  Really stupid,
IMO.  (2)  If there was rust justifying this act, then the seller is
ying to you.  Where can that lead?

Bottom line:  Lift the carpets and inspect carefully.

>2)  The transmission jumps out of 3rd.  According to my readings, this would
>indicate a worn gear selector mechanism.  Am I correct?  And about how much
>would it cost to fix?

Not just the selector.  Usually the gear is gone, might need bearings
as well.  If you have it done, count on about $1000.  If you do it
yourself, $300 and a lot of work.

>3)  While I have the tranny out, is it worthwhile to add O.D.?  (It's a non-
>synchro unit, if that makes a difference.) How much should that cost?

Used OD units, as is, cost about $400-500 when you can find one.  They
are getting pretty scarce.  The one you got might need rebuild, hard
to tell until it is mounted and running.

>4)  Another MGB owner suggested that since the car is old, just to be safe, I
>should replace the steering shaft U-joint.  Is this a worthwhile improvement?
>And once again, what can I expect to pay for that?

Trivial.  Ten bucks for the part, hour or so work.  No need to replace
(IMO) unless there is slop in the old one.

Good luck!                      A. B. Bonds