Re:BGT loosing brake fluid

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:BGT loosing brake fluid
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@amail.amdahl.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 96 14:26 PST
andrew.gibson@gecm.com  wrote:-
Subject: Brake Fluid Loss

>My '69 BGT is loosing brake fluid.  I can't find any leaks in the usual >places
>and I'm not burning down the brake pads.  I'm thinking it could be >leaking
>into the vacuum servo.  Has anyone had any experience of this?

>Andy Gibson

>andrew.gibson@gecm.com
>Maidstone, Kent, UK.

Andy,
     I was not aware the 69B or BGT came with a brake servo.  Is this
original equipment?
If not, you may well be loosing brake fluid somewhere. The later B's with
the one stromberg carb, provided the much needed room for the servo.
It attaches, physically, right behind the brake master cylinder.  The brake
pedal and pedal box are different on the later B's, at least the export
models.  Did they fit the servo as standard, before 74 in the UK?  In
thinking about this a little longer, with the domestic (UK) cars, the
carbies are on the opposite side of the engine to the brake assy, so there
would be room for a servo!  Before you tear into the pedal box, check the
rear end brake pipes, where they join on the differential housing and attach
to the flex hose from the under floor brake line. There is also a coupling
mid way under the floor on the driver side (UK). This coupling joins two
lengths of brake line together to make one long run.
As for fluid loss to the SERVO? I kind of doubt it, but who knows, strange
things happen!
If the pedal box is anything like the one on the export cars, it is a pain
in the neck to do anything inside. The best way is to service the assy off
the car and that is whole lot of extra work as the clutch M/C must be
removed also!  Hell, it's only your brakes, don't worry about it, just keep
topping the reservoir up!  Hope this helps.
Good luck - John.

John D. Bartholomew  Amdahl San Jose CA.  Usual disclaimers apply.
     408-746-6361 - Voice Mail            408-746-8016 - FAX
               Internet id - jdb70@amail.amdahl.com
 69 MGBGT; 74 MGB; 79 MGB; restoring 76 MGB; 72 MGB daily driver