MG TA mystery + a tip

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MG TA mystery + a tip
From: "G. Hill BCA" <GHILL@estec.esa.nl>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 96 17:15:42 CET
Hello MGers,

I own a 1938 MG TA which provides hours of endless fun except when the original
(I think) steering wheel decides to excrete a thin oily liquid. The mystery
gets even more bizarre when I tell you that it only does this during the cold
wintery weather. It's a 'Brooklands' type steering wheel with a cream bakalite
(remember that stuff) rim which contains lots of hair-line cracks in it rather
like the surface cracks you see in antique furniture. Because of this
unsociable habit that it has, I have to cover up the leather driver's seat so
that the oily dribbles don't ruin the leather. The oil seems to come from
within the rim and ooze through the cracks....YUK !! Has anyone got any
answers to my mystery - perhaps all you chemists out there ?

While I'm writing, I discovered an interesting fact during the TA rebuild a
number of years ago. When I found the new front wheel cylinders where
extremely expensive, I found that early (rear) Land Rover ones fitted just
as well - and at a fraction of the price.

Thanks and regards,

Garry Hill

End of Message